What can I say? I'm a fickle human being.
So surprise, surprise, I made yet another thing that I told myself I would never make - a bra! Now I should point out that it ain't perfect and I still have some fitting issues to work out, but look - it actually looks like a bra! I've never been so proud of something that doesn't really fit.
Okay, now on the details. After much internet
Anyway, that's how I decided to go with this pattern (plus, I like the little lace detail). As for the supplies, I ordered a kit from Sweet Cups Bra Supply which is a US affiliate of the Canadian store, Bra Makers Supply. They sell a fairly limited amount of items, but they do sell underwires and kits and you don't have to pay international shipping, so yay! (Also, just a FYI that they're planning on having a 20% off black Friday sale). The lace was purchased from this etsy shop.
Once the kit arrived it was on to making big decisions like what size to make. I ended up not following the sizing directions on the pattern because I was coming up with weird size recommendations. In the end I went with what Nordstroms measured me to be a couple months ago - a 32C. I also made sure that the underwires that correspond to this size fit my breasts well, which they did. I cut out this size without making any modifications and went to work.
All things considered, the actual construction of the bra wasn't so difficult, although sewing the channeling on was a pain in the butt and I ended up having to rip it out once. Also, ripping out stitches on this fabric is a major pain in the butt. I also ran into problems with the supplies because the kit is designed to be used with the Pin Up Girls Classic bra pattern where the front fabric goes halfway up the straps so you need less strap fabric. As a result, the kit included half as much strap fabric as I needed so I fudged it with some leftover elastic. Not a great solution, but it worked okay in a bind. Also, the kit rings and slides are for 3/8 elastic, but the pattern calls for 1/2 rings and slides. Not a huge deal, but just something to be aware of.
As for fitting issues, I think the first thing that I need to do is widen the bridge a bit. I think that making that modification will make the cups fit better. The band is fairly tight right now and adding to the bridge will probably help with that issue as well. I should also probably pinch out a tiny bit of space in the top of the cup to prevent gapage. Hopefully those modifications solve all the fitting issues. The hard part for me was that I really couldn't assess the fit until the bra was entirely done and by that point you can't really fix anything. Oh well.
I'm definitely intrigued by the whole bra making process and I'd love to have at least one bra pattern that fits me well. I'm guessing that it'll probably take me another bra attempt or two to get there so watch out for some more bras in the future.
PS - Oh, and did you see Cloth Habit's new bra pattern. I may just have to try my hand at this pattern too!