Pumpkin Risotto

10.26.2010

I will be the first to admit it...I am no chef.  In fact, about once a month I bake something and end up getting baking soda and baking powder mixed up (damn them for having such similar names!).  That said, I did come up with a very basic, yet delicious creation this evening...pumpkin risotto.  Yum!

Pumpkin Risotto

About 5 cups broth (I used vegetable broth)
1 Tbl. butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 c. arborio rice
1/2  c. white wine
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c. whipping cream
1 can of pureed pumpkin

Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
Add the onion and saute until the onions are tender.
Add the rice and stir for about 1 minute.
Add the wine and cook until the wine is absorbed, stirring often.
Add the rosemary and 1/2 c. of broth.  Stir often until the liquid is absorbed.
Once the liquid is absorbed continue to add broth, 1/2 c. at a time.  Remember to keep stirring.
Continue to do this until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy (I think it takes about 20 minutes or so).
Add the can of pumpkin and stir until it's absorbed evenly throughout the risotto.
Stir in the cream and parmesan cheese.
Season to taste with salt and pepper if you'd like.
Eat it up because it's delicious!



On a side note, I know I've mentioned before that my mom is utterly blunt.  Here's the latest example of my mom not using her social nicieties filter.

I was talking to her on the phone the other night, telling her about the risotto, and here's how the conversation went:

Me: I just made some pumpkin risotto.  It was delicious.
Her: How did you get the pieces of pumpkin to stay together in the risotto?
Me: Oh, I just used canned pumpkin.
Her: Canned pumpkin.  Oh, that's sounds terrible!  I wouldn't want to eat that.
Me: (Silence)  Um, okay.

And for the record, I do love my mom very much...

1 comment:

  1. I have a soft spot in my heart for canned pumpkin. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!