Hat Number...Oh Hell, I've Lost Count

2.07.2011

I'm not quite sure how many hats a twenty month old child needs, but whatever the number, I'm pretty sure that O is quickly approaching that amount.

That said, I had some extra Araucania sock yarn sitting around and new knitting book (compliments of my boss no less!) and I thought, "O definitely needs a beret!"  Of course, the pattern in the book involved a beautiful fair isle pattern on the beret and if I've learned nothing about my knitting preferences over the past ten years, I've learned that I love simple patterns.  In addition to that, I've learned that I'm far too cheap to buy all the different skeins of yarn that are needed for fair isle patterns.  So I decided to take the basic shape of the beret and just knit it in one color.  Originally I was planning on just knitting it all in stockinette stitch but then I though, "What the heck?  Let's throw in some pearl rounds too."

And here's the end product.


Personally, I heart it!  O, not so much.


When I first tried to put it on her she screamed and said "No!"


I then resorted to my finest parenting trick and tried to bribe her with her current favorite food, Gummy Vitamins.  She then got this tortured look on her face as she tried to decide if she wanted a Gummy Vitamin that bad.  Sad to say, she decided that the Gummy Vitamin simply wasn't worth it and she continued to say "no wear hat!"

I gave her a couple days to get over the trauma of having to chose between a Gummy Vitamin and a hat and this weekend we headed out for a walk and because it was so cold she really did need to wear a hat. Coincidentally, this was the only hat I had with me (sneaky, mommy!).

Fortunately, she now appears far less traumatized by the idea of wearing this hat and she tolerated wearing it for the entire walk.  Whew!


Yarn: Araucania Ranco sock yarn (less than one skein)
Needles: size 2 and 3 double points
Pattern: loosly based on Classic Fair Isle Beret pattern in Design It, Knit It Babies by Debbie Bliss

On a side note, can I just say how much I love this yarn.  With two measly skeins I've been able to make:

Two hats.




And one sweater.


And I still have half a skein left!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable! The hats too. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about the sweater pattern?
    TOO cute. Nice knitting mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, the beret?! Tres adorable. One day O will so appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!