A Cozy Winter Hood

9.20.2011

First off, thank you so much for your well wishes about our little bun-in-the-oven.  We are ridiculously excited and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice, uneventful pregnancy.

But let's talk about another little bun-in-the-oven for a while, shall we?

This past weekend I was lucky enough to be able to attend a good friend's baby shower in celebration of her baby-boy-to-be (it's amazing that people are still inviting me to baby showers, right?).  I knew that if I could muster up the energy, I wanted to make something hand-made for her little boy but I also knew that her mom is a fantastic quilter so an "amateur" quilt from me was out of the question.  Instead, I turned to Oliver and S: Little Things To Sew once again and decided to have a go at the cozy winter hood pattern because I love any children's item with ears on it (and as luck would have it, my friend does too!).


I used some amazingly soft polartec fleece that I happened to have around the house and just ended up using the same fabric for both the outside and the lining.  My hat may not be as cute or luxurious as the one pictured in the book, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be perfect for a wet and chilly pacific northwest winter.


The only thing that surprised me about this project is that I made the newborn to sixth month size and yet it came out huge.  In fact, it almost fits my two year old perfectly (it's just a bit short in the back...perfect to watch her little curls bouncing as she runs away).


Oh well, at least the the little guy will have a hat waiting for him for when he's two.

6 comments:

  1. It's perfect, Carolyn! And sure to bring smiles. My daughter wouldn't THINK of putting a boring old regular hat on her son, it has to be fun! And what gorgeous curls O has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wish it was appropriate for adults to wear things with ears on it. This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the gray, it will go with everything!!! I would totally invite you to my shower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, the best laid plans and all that! I have a number of mad hats, and I'm in my 30's, so he's got plenty of time to grow into it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooo cute, especially on your little gal with the curls! i've been thinking about making one of these as a KCWC project for my 9 month old...i almost wonder if i should make a "muslin" first based on this? i want it to fit him this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, i'm just going to ignore that great hat you made and say this: she is so. stinking. cute.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!