Puppet Show Shorts - Part Two

8.05.2014


You didn't think that I'd make just one pair of Puppet Show shorts did you?  You should know by now that I'm physically incapable of making one of anything.  I guess I always figure that while I have the pattern out I might as well trace both of the kids' sizes.  And since I have both sizes traced, I might as well cut them out of fabric.  And while they're both cut out of fabric, I might as well sew them up.

And that mindset, ladies and gentlemen, is how you end up sewing two of everything.


The good news is that these shorts are actually a bit different from the other ones that I made (as opposed to the many other matching items that I've made for the girls).  While the little one's shorts were made of seersucker, these are made from some Kaufman yellow chambray.  After buying the fabric I worried that it would be too thin for a pair of shorts, but I actually think that the fabric works well with this pattern.  I wanted to add a little something special to the shorts but also keep them fairly simple so I just added a little blue piping to the pockets and the waistband (Are you seeing a pattern here?  Piping on everything!).


The one thing that I wish I would have done differently is modify the shorts to make them have a flat front waistband rather than a fully elasticized one.  I happen to love the look of a flat front waistband and I'm kind of kicking myself for realizing too late that it would look fantastic on these shorts (especially on an older kid).  But there's always next time...except maybe for O who is quickly growing out of all the Oliver and S patterns that I have.  Wahhhh!


And on that note, I'll leave you with these pictures of O and C mastering the fine art of posing for pictures.  If only I had half the moves that these kids have.


6 comments:

  1. so adorable. love the piping and the yellow chambray is super fun. and man - you, me, and Gail all have kids about to size out of the smaller O+S patterns. definitely adds a sense of urgency to the sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They looks so cute, I just made the tiny sized ones.
    I love your piping and I agree, I make mine flat fronted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have been lurking for a long time. these are adorable, and you've inspired me to buy some yellow chambray. plus, your eldest's tank top? i want one of those in my size.

    but what i really came over her to say is those bottom photos of your two girls kill me dead. TOO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the poses, are you sure they don't take after you? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! I love the photos of the girls posing! So awesome! You've inspired me to want to make these shorts again. And I appreciate knowing they work with lightweight fabric because that's exactly what I had planned to use. I wondered if it would work. I like the idea of keep the front flat and I love the way you stitched on the pockets. Oh and the two thumbs up picture is pretty great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so far behind in reading blogs! HA! These are adorable. I love the yellow chambray - isn't everything better in chambray?

    I have started buying the larger size range of O+s patterns for Joe. You gotta do what you gotta do. Maggie will never weigh more than 22 lbs, it seems, so I don't need to worry about her growing up at least.

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!