Pajamas!

1.12.2015


In looking over the many things that I made in 2014 it became apparent that there were quite a few garments that I made but never blogged about, because when it comes down to whether to use my time for blogging or sewing, sewing will always win out.  But in an attempt to play a little catchup here's a little something (well, a little two somethings) that I finished up in the final days of 2014.


Now I know that many people have a tradition of receiving a pair of pajamas on Christmas Eve but that's not something that we've ever done in our family (also, we're not big stocking people and I can't really remember ever getting a stocking.  My husband finds this crazy.  Anybody else with me?).  In any case, even though it's not a tradition that I grew up with, I'm not going to turn down an opportunity to sew my kids matching PJs.  Plus, if I'm being completely honest, I really wanted to try out one of the new Art Gallery knits and this seemed like the perfect excuse to order some.

For the pattern I used the Alex and Anna Winter PJs pattern by Peekaboo Pattern Shop.  I got this pattern ages ago as part of a pattern bundle that I purchased and while it certainly wasn't the reason that I purchased the bundle I was pretty happy to find it on my hard drive.  Yes, there are plenty of patterns that I could have put together to make some knit PJs (a Flashback Tee with some Sunki leggings or maybe some Fancy Pants leggings) but I was happy to try out a new pattern and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.  In particular, I really like how the pattern finishes the waistband of these PJs since I often find my waistband elastic twisting over time when I just thread it through a "fabric tunnel."  As for the fit, I sewed a size three for the little one (who's almost three) and I sewed a size five for O, although I added a little length to the pants.  She's a bit of a string bean so even though she's almost six this size seems to work great for her.


The fabric is an Art Gallery knit (Orni Incandescence) and it's lovely, stretchy, and bright pink.  What's not to love?  It's got a bit of lycra in it so it's super comfy and it's not too thick (but also not too thin) so it's a nice weight for PJs.  I ordered four yards from Fabric.com when they were having a sale and because the fabric is so wide I probably only used a little over half of it to make both pairs of PJs so you'll probably be seeing this fabric in the future.  For the cuffs I used some leftover ribbing fabric that I had in my stash.  I bought it from Joann Fabrics ages ago so I was happy to find a new use for it.


So that's it!  Christmas Eve PJs that I literally finished on Christmas Eve.  In fact, I may have made us late to our Christmas Eve family gathering because I was rushing to finish them.  I blame it on the double needles though because I broke three (!) of them while making these PJs.  Needless to say, there was much cussing on Christmas Eve.


Now that's the Christmas spirit.

7 comments:

  1. I just love this fabric and the contrasting ribbing: well done, so much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your happy pink girls! I agree, the Art Gallery knits are a nice quality and they are coming out with more and more great prints. When you say you never got a stocking, do you mean from Father Christmas? Mine was generally a pillowcase and would have the thing I asked Father Christmas for plus chocolate coins and maybe something else small, and that's basically what our kids get. Plus Christmas morning pressies from us. The pyjamas thing is not a tradition here, maybe because at this time of year we're all wearing as little as possible to bed to keep cool. But I quite like the idea of everyone going to bed on Christmas Eve in brand new jammies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pajamas! Love the print. I have the same pattern, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sisters! Yep, they do jab each other in the nose, but they could not be any more adorable!

    Love these pjs, and hey, I have that pattern too! Good to know it's a keeper! Excellent!

    No stockings?!! You poor, deprived child!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've never done the jammy thing, think that's an American thing, but we've always done stockings (otherwise my dad could never annually trot out the story of the year when I was 4 and I exclaimed, 'Santa brought me lemons' upon finding some lemon shaped soap, he thinks it's hilarious, I don't get it...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I just love matching pajamas, at Christmas and all year! I love seeing what you're making, so I've nominated you to participate in The Liebster Awards--my blog post with info about it is here: http://bethbeingcrafty.blogspot.jp/2015/03/liebster-awards-thanks-inspinration.html

    ReplyDelete

A comment? For me? You're the best!